Thursday, June 23, 2011

Two University of Michigan golfers finish 1-2 in stroke play at Michigan Amateur

HARBOR SPRINGS – University of Michigan golfer Matt Thompson (Battle Creek) edged teammate and defending champion Joey Garber (Petoskey) for medalist honors at the 100th Michigan Amateur.

Thompson shot 71-69—140 while Garber was just one stroke behind him with 71-70 – 141 on The Heather course at Boyne Highlands Resort.

Thompson has played in the Michigan Amateur for the past three years and lost in the final to Tom Werkmeister (Kentwood) at Spring Meadows in 2009. At the start of the tournament, Thompson’s goal was just to make it to match play but after shooting a one-under-par 71 in the first round of stroke play he raised the bar.

“After seeing what I shot in the first round I had to set a different goal and keep myself motivated,” said Thompson after his round on Wednesday. “So I went out today with the goal of being the medalist. I was one over at the turn but I made a couple of long putts on the back nine which really helped me.”

Presentation of the trophy was delayed until Thursday morning due to a long rain delay on Wednesday that left nine golfers having to finish their rounds. Thompson is a psychology major at U-M but said all of his knowledge didn’t really help him on the links at Boyne Highlands Resort – The Heather this week.

“I didn’t really have a class for golf psychology,” quipped Thompson. “Hopefully I can use something I’ve learned this week.”

Thompson acknowledges there is much golf to be played this week but admits it is a great feeling to have won medalist honors for stroke play.

“Hopefully this isn’t a situation like the President’s Trophy in hockey,” said Thompson. “It was a good feeling to achieve my goal. I ran into Joey (Garber) last night and he said he missed a short putt on nine that put him at 70, one stroke behind me. When I heard that, I thought I might have won.”

There was a playoff between eight players at 154 who battled for the last six spots in the field of 64 for match play. Nathan Clark (Charlotte) Brian Donohoe (Rochester Hills), Matt Johnson (Lansing) Lucas Trierweller (Plainwell), Lyle Wolberg (Huntington Woods), and Bill Zylstra (Dearborn Heights) all advanced to match play.

No comments:

Post a Comment